#iHearti90Wildlife social media contest
Bridging Futures is an annual collaborative project between the I-90 Wildlife Bridges Coalition and the Washington State Department of Transportation that educates youth about safe wildlife passage along the I-90 wildlife corridor in Washington State.
Since 2006, Bridging Futures has facilitated student involvement in the I-90 Snoqualmie Pass East project, an effort to make I-90 safer for people and wildlife. In summer 2015, WSDOT will begin building I-90’s first wildlife bridge (click here to view the proposed overpass).
To celebrate this major achievement and to elicit public awareness and support, this year’s Bridging Futures launched #iHearti90Wildlife, a social media contest that invited students K-12 to illustrate the species waiting to cross the new wildlife bridge, share their art on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and be entered to win cool prizes. The contest ended on May 11, 2015, and voting for awards is now underway. Watch a short 1-minute video that explains the contest.
View the amazing entries sent in by groups and individuals from Berkely, CA to Yakima, WA on our Facebook Bridging Futures 2015: I Heart I-90 Wildlife page and on Instagram with the hashtag #ihearti90wildlife.
Award categories and prizes:
- Awards will be given in 5 categories: (1) best group collection (i.e. classroom, family, friends, youth group), (2) best mammal or bird, (3) best amphibian, mollusk, or reptile, (4) most creative entry, and (5) people’s choice on Instagram.
- Prizes for individual awards include supplies and fuel for your next wild adventure including a GoPro HERO, custom #iHearti90Wildlife t-shirt, REI gift card, endangered species chocolate bars, and more.
- Prizes for the winning group collection include custom #iHearti90Wildlife t-shirts for all participants in the group (limit to 40) as well as $500 to your choice of classroom, school, or youth oriented 501c3 non-profit organization to continue education and engagement for the next generation in creative efforts.
- Winners will be contacted within 3 weeks following the closing of the contest through the social media account that their entry was submitted through.
- A judging panel will select a winner for each category other than the People’s Choice award. Our judging panel includes Jeff Burnside (KOMO4 news), Roger Levesque (former Seattle Sounders star), Charlie Raines (I-90 Wildlife Bridges Coalition Director), and Lynn Peterson (Washington Secretary of Transportation).
- The entry with the most “likes” and “favorites” will win People’s Choice. Vote on Facebook and Instagram for your favorites today and throughout the contest.
- In addition to receiving prizes, winners will be invited to present their art at the groundbreaking event for the wildlife bridge on June 9, 2015.
All entries will be incorporated into a collage art piece that we will present to decision makers and leaders present at the groundbreaking event this summer.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.